Aortic dissection & aortic aneurysm information support group

Aortic dissection, aortic aneurysm - The aorta - Life after an aortic dissection

Hi All. I notice a few members have said they are a little unsure of the navigation on the site. Please let me know what suggestions you have to improve it. It's actually however pretty simple as Richard has said. Just follow your nose to a large extent...!

From the left hand side of the navigation menu: Main is the home page. Invite is where you can invite others to the network. My Page is your own page and shows all your activity on the site. Notice also now that you can set up a Twitter account and post your page straight to your Twitter account.. thats the little turquoise/blue "t" twitter logo on the left hand side of your 'manage my page' section.

Photos is for posting any digital photograph you want to post on the site. Videos is the same. You can also post straight from YouTube as well. Forum is for smaller discussions and messages (than blogs) and you can START a new discussion subject here as well - such as I have done here with this discussion. Blogs is for posting larger articles, normally narratives such as your AD story.

Important Links is yet to be done - It will go to a page where a number of important links will be featured - I have a good selection of links thanks to all your input and hope to find the time to get them up soon. Groups is about what it says - Groups. Say for instance there are a number of you in the London area and you want to form your own sub group. This is where you would do it.

The Abdominal Aneurysm (AAA) link for the present goes to the pertinent NHS site(s) as from 2011 ALL men over 65 in the UK will be given FREE screening for this killer. After heart attacks this is the biggest killer in the UK of men over 65, with 10,000 a year dying from it. It is estimated that 1 in 50 men will die of a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm. About 6 in 100 men and about 2 in 100 women over the age of 65 have an AAA. Although an abdominal aortic aneursym is not a dissection it can easily become an abdominal aortic dissection. This site also is also designed to cater for aneursym sufferers as well.

(I have slotted in a good image below from Cedars Sinai hospital in the US which shows the classification for aortic dissection levels and areas:)

KEY TO DIAGRAM ABOVE
  • Aortic root - The root is the beginning of the aorta. Starting from the aortic valve (annulus) and becoming slightly wider in diameter (sinuses of Valsalva), it gives rise to two coronary arteries and ends at the beginning of the ascending aorta (sinotubular junction). The two coronary arteries are responsible for carrying oxygen-rich blood to the heart muscle itself.
  • Ascending aorta - This segment extends upward from the aortic root to the point where the innominate artery branches off the aorta, and the aorta begins to form an arch. It is within the heart sack (pericardium) by itself and no arteries branch from it. There is little support from surrounding tissue and it must face the entire cardiac output volume (minus the coronary arteries), making the ascending segment the most vulnerable part of the aorta.
  • Aortic arch - The arch represents the curved portion at the top of the aorta. The innominate, left common carotid, and left subclavian arteries, which supply blood to the head and upper body, branch from the arch. It is outside the pericardial sack and generally has better support from surrounding structures.
  • Descending aorta - This section begins just beyond the arch as the aorta bends down into the body. The descending aorta ends at the diaphragm. It contains the intercostal arteries that feed the spinal cord. The beginning portion of the descending aorta is vulnerable to injury (intimal tear) during deceleration conditions.
  • Thoracoabdominal aorta - This section begins at the diaphragm and ends at the visceral vessels (celiac, superior mesenteric and renal arteries).
  • Abdominal aorta - The abdominal aorta begins below the renal arteries, which supply blood to the kidneys. The aorta ends where it divides into the two iliac arteries. It contains a small artery named the inferior mesenteric artery.
=============================================================
The Mechanical Heart Valve link goes straight to our new site about Mechanical Heart Valves. This is for those who have mechanical heart valves or are contemplating having one fitted. It is only 2 weeks old so has a bit of development to do in the weeks ahead. It's designed to be very much like this site - a meeting place for people for support and information. And that's the present Navigation system!

Remember when you are posting in the Forum or Blogs that you can use the tools in the top line of the text box when you are writing your message/story to change your text style, underline text, insert a hypertext link or even include an image like i have done here. So - don't hesitate to use any of these tools in your post to jazz it up! Also, you can use HTML tags in your posts if you are familiar with web coding..
Hope this all helps!

Cheers

Graeme Archer

Tags: a, aaa, abdominal, aneurysm, aortic, ascending, b, descending, dissection, type

Views: 421

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Forgot to mention but you do have a private email function on the site which allows you to send and receive email messages between members. Use the box at the RH top of each page which has links to your email inbox, your page settings and to invite friends.

Cheers

Graeme

RSS

LIFELONG MEMBERS

Our AD Facebook Page!

Visit Our Facebook Page/

OR - Post our Website Link to your Facebook Wall Profile
If you have the QR decode app in your smart camera phone - hold your camera phone over this QR CODE and it will automatically take your smart phone (*if you have the internet enabled on your phone) to our Facebook Page!

OR - Use the QR Code above

What's a QR Code??
Download QR Reader App.

Our Twitter Feed!

Events

© 2019   Created by Graeme.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service