Aortic dissection & aortic aneurysm information support group

Aortic dissection, aortic aneurysm - The aorta - Life after an aortic dissection

Not being macabre here..but this question REPEATEDLY tops the 3 most asked question on Google regading Aortic Dissections. 

My research from published medical papers seems to indicate that their is a 60% survival rate after 10 years for Type 'A' Aortic Dissection but I cannot find any further survival statistics past this... So - the million dollar question.... :0

Anyone know of anyone who has gone past this... and how long..??  I am sure that this would be a very positive set of numbers for all of us to know.... Their are a number of answers online for this question but most are pretty obtuse and no-one to my knowledge has ever put down a definitive answer.. not that I/we can either but it would be good to get some numbers to look at..

I make my 10 year anniversay next April 2013 so hopefully I can look forward to the next 10 years ;-)

Anyone like to put their AD anniversary  date to this post.. if we have enough data we can then do up hopefully a quite reassuring graph for our members and others.. :)

cheers

Graeme Archer  

*** Update August 25 2015***
12 Year Anniversary April 23rd 2105.. here's to my lucky 13th Anniversary coming up in 2016 :-) 

***Update Nov 6 2018***
15 years post Aortic Dissection now and looking at 16 years next April 2019. My wonderful team at St Guys in London however keeping an eye on the dacron aorta join to the original Aortic Root on the heart. Normal wear and tear for last 16 years. Go team! Live life. Love life!

Cheers all
Graeme Archer

Founder

Tags: AFTER, AORTIC, DISSECTION, EXPECTANCY, LIFE

Views: 13372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had type B , 4 years ago. at age of 48.

Hi Graeme,

I hope you are keeping well. My 13th anniversary will be 7th June 2019.

My two sons have inherited - unfortunately - my connective tissue disorder. One had elective valve sparing aortic root replacement in 2012, and the other suffered AD in May 2018 - he is about to go through the "elephants trunk" procedure shortly. Much harder suffering through their procedures than my own!

Best wishes

Paul

I wish them both a speedy recovery.   I will be celebrating 11 years on October 31 2019. WOW, Can't believe how time flies.  Still doing well, as I'm sure, your son's will too.  

Wow. 16 years today since my bad BAD boy dissection. Get out there! Live it! Love it! I was not supposed TO survive past 5 years. Huh! Heres to another 16 years! 

Cheers all :-) 

Graeme Archer

Graeme! .... you go, guy ..... and another 16 after that !! .... I'm still on 7 years after an acute type A and 3 type B at 67. 4 surgeons, (9 hours, ( 41/2) packed in ice), they woke me in ICU after 3 weeks and said I still might die. Not yet, thank you.

Dek

Derek.. Yes to NOT YET also!  Lets tear up the record books.. cheers Graeme

RSS

LIFELONG MEMBERS

Our AD Facebook Page!

Visit Our Facebook Page/

OR - Post our Website Link to your Facebook Wall Profile
If you have the QR decode app in your smart camera phone - hold your camera phone over this QR CODE and it will automatically take your smart phone (*if you have the internet enabled on your phone) to our Facebook Page!

OR - Use the QR Code above

What's a QR Code??
Download QR Reader App.

Our Twitter Feed!

Events

© 2019   Created by Graeme.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service