Aortic dissection & aortic aneurysm information support group

Aortic dissection, aortic aneurysm - The aorta - Life after an aortic dissection

Does anybody still have issues with their blood pressure?  I'm on 4 different meds for control, and this is 4 years after my surgery.   Even in hospital, I had to stay extra time as they could not get it down,  I watch what I eat and try to stay stress free, (lol) however, even after a swim in the pool , my pressure is still high.   I was 186/81 this morng and that was just waking up.   any suggestions

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow... I think your doctor needs to explore different meds for you. My doc is still tweaking my cocktail three years after my surgery.

My GP followed the recommendations of the hospital cardiologist. It took almost 2 years to find the right combination and strength of meds to stabilise my blood pressure. Initially, I was on Bisoprolol and Ramipril which did not work properly at all, but I am now on Losartan, Nebivolol and Amlodipine. By BP has gone from 170/80 to between 90/50 and 110/60. Of course, I have also changed my diet (reduced salt, increased fruit) and taken up more exercise, including TaiChi.

Thank you for the info, my cardiologist called in a new med for pickup today... forgot name but will pickup in an hour, will get back with you as soon as i know what it is,   It is just so frustrating, as I seriously try to keep sodium levels between 1000 -1500 a day.  I do eat a lot of fruit, but have to be careful with salads, greens, because of coumadin, (thats another story lol).  I swim and I walk everyday, so I have made a lot of major changes in the last four years,  even when in hospital, I was kept over a week longer, because they couldn't get my pressure down.   Finally, they were not happy, but let me go at 150/90.  Thank you for your response and encouragement, as the majority of the public just don't understand.   

Sue,

I have been on 10mg amplodpine and 50mg atenolol since my AD 9 years ago.. my BP has been fine ever since... and I love salt on too many things (but watch it!) and have my share of stress  as well...don't know if that's any help..

cheers

Graeme

okay, just got back home,  the new med is Labetalol-100mg 3x day, including the other meds amolodipine 5mg and hydralazine 50mg 3xday and lisinopril at 40mg 1xday.... so lets see what this cocktail will do!  thanks to all of you for your advice but mostly for your support.   

Sue, I hope that the new cocktail works.  I had to stay in a day longer because they couldn't get my blood pressure down.  A year later I am on 100mg Losartan, 50 Atenolol BD, 5mg Amlodipine and 2.5mg Bendroflumethiazide.  This keep my blood pressure around 125/40 but it still varies throughout the day.

Good luck, Nicola

Thank you for your reply...Your cocktail is as complicated as mine lol.  So far it seems to be working, only been couple days, however, about an hour after taking, I get very very shaky.  I eat food with it, but the shakiness is extreme.  Even my landlord stopped by and was going to take me to hospital because he thought it was too much of a reaction.   It seems to subside over time.  

Does anyone have an idea on what causes blood pressure to elevate when your trying to do everything right or is it still in the "unknown" category.   They kept me a week longer... every day they would try something..  it was frustrating them and me,  I wanted to go home. lol

Hi Sue, I, too, have had a mighty struggle with high blood pressure and still have to some extent.  You have my complete sympathy.  I have two different meds plus a huge amount of beta blocker and still it was on the high side.  I have recently been diagnosed with sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine at night and this has helped to bring down my BP to a more reasonable level, not really good but getting there.  It is a well known fact that sleep apnea can raise your BP so maybe given time, ever hopeful me!  I am 2.5 years post op so not exactly a quick result. I am still struggling with regaining my strength after it all and losing weight is my next issue. I am convinced my thyroid is up creek (mother and sister both have underactive thyroid). Julia

RSS

LIFELONG MEMBERS

Our AD Facebook Page!

Visit Our Facebook Page/

OR - Post our Website Link to your Facebook Wall Profile
If you have the QR decode app in your smart camera phone - hold your camera phone over this QR CODE and it will automatically take your smart phone (*if you have the internet enabled on your phone) to our Facebook Page!

OR - Use the QR Code above

What's a QR Code??
Download QR Reader App.

Our Twitter Feed!

Events

© 2019   Created by Graeme.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service